NFTS RAW both Source and Back Up

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Yogui

NFTS RAW both Source and Back Up

Post by Yogui » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:40 am

Hi,

The question is:

How should I go about recovering NFTS RAW DATA DISC (Win7x64 not OS) when got 2 corrupted drives and 1 old back Up?

Let me expand to clarify the scenario.

After some bad luck on my Win7x64 PC, with a System and several NTFS single partition Data Drives as follows:

Did: Multiple files copy with Xycopy (xyplorer) on Win7x64, All drives are data only (not OS) and NTFS
Result: Slow copy, behaviour destination drive appeared Raw Disc. Windows Ask to Formant, I never did that
Did: Did not do Recovery since have current Back Up
Result: Quick format failed drive RAW drive
Did: Restored Back Up to Formatted Drive
Result: As expected
Did: Copied other new files to New Drive
Result: As expected
Did: Run Synchronise Soft (FreeFileSync)
Result: Found some Files and Folders not accessible
Did: Try Copy the new files not in BK using SuperCopy 2.20
Result: Normal for some time then too slow
Did: Changed copy process to TeraCopy
Result: Slow copy then BK Drive became RAW
Did: Shut Down Windows Normally
Result: Hope that any files on the cache were written and not much more to data drives
Did: Un-plugged All important data drives, and keep un-used
Result: PC has been running OK for a week, Discarded Virus, SATA Controller failure

I got:
Defective Drive 1 "DD1") 1 x 3TB WD drive seen as RAW (windows asks to format it, which I never did) should have all data, but has been quick format and recopied so don't know
Defective Drive 2) 1 x 3TB WD drive seen as RAW, has a back up that is near current, but some new files may only be on the DD1
Older Back Up) Working OK, Is unplugged and a month old

A side from how to recover each of the drives individually, which I also need to clarify. How do I compare and amalgamate the different versions of a file?

Should I recover from old to new in an intermediate drive and later use a Sync software to overwrite older files with newer ones to a final drive?

Thanks! :D

Yogui

Re: NFTS RAW both Source and Back Up

Post by Yogui » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi,
May be I can re-frase the question.
Is NTFS Modifyed/Created time accurate when checking diferent time versions of recovered files?
Thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:54 am

Yogui wrote:Hi,
May be I can re-frase the question.
Is NTFS Modifyed/Created time accurate when checking diferent time versions of recovered files?
Thanks!
This is a tricky matter. When you first create a file, then modify it on the same place, NTFS makes time stamps correctly. That is, it shows data in the Created time stamp corresponding to the date/time when the files was created, and the data in the Modified time stamp shows the date/time when it was modified. When you copy file to some other place, that depends on the software used for file copy. Quite often, the Created time stamp shows the date/time when the file was copied, whereas the Modified time stamp show the date/time when the file was last modified. It may appear that it may be earlier that the Created time stamp. Some software copies time stamps exactly as they are.

Yogui

Post by Yogui » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks,
Thanks clarify it. ;)
Which software would you recommend to move/copy/synchronise large drives with close to a million files?
Cheers,

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:20 am

Frankly speaking, I don't know. Never've done such things.