Help with RAID 0 recovery after wiped by Lacie

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
tintagel74

Help with RAID 0 recovery after wiped by Lacie

Post by tintagel74 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi there,

So my situation is as follows. I am a Mac user. I have a External Lacie RAID with 2x Seagate 500GB drives. It was set to RAID 0 as standard. After transferring some data to under this RAID 0 setting i foolishly changed the mode to RAID 1 on the housing which has wiped the drives. I plead temporary insanity.

Using R Studio and separate USB enclosures the drives show up as 'Generic Drives' with no partitions. I created a Virtual Block Raid, dragged the 2 drives into it, scanned this RAID and the scan results show up with a bunch of Green 'Recognized' results. One of them is labelled Lacie and when opened up shows the file structure/folders that were on drive. Files also are visible. But once recovered they appear to be corrupt or will not open (mainly image files). I have tried different block size settings with no luck.

Am i completely off the mark in my process? Can anyone help?

Any more info required please ask.

Many thanks in advance.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Help with RAID 0 recovery after wiped by Lacie

Post by Alt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:45 am

The main problem is with the parameters of the RAID0. I recommend you to use this free program: ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery and enter the RAID parameters it recognize. Then rescan the RAID0 in R-Studio. Also, pay attention to Extra Found Files, maybe those are your last resort. They won't have proper names or folder structure, but their content may be correct.

JamieK

Post by JamieK » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:11 am

I have a similar issue in terms of the files it recovers will not open at all. That software you pointed us to is useless for a Mac user, it's PC software. Is there any way to tell which order to have the drives placed in so that it can be recovered properly? All my drives are exactly the same, so it makes it pretty hard to try to figure out (I have 4 of them) which way they are supposed to be placed in the software in order to be recovered properly. It says in the manual that you are supposed to do the following - Note: Objects should be placed in the same order as they were in the original volume set. If this order is
incorrect, you must change it by dragging the parents to place them in the correct order. How am I supposed to know which order they are in? Can someone help us in this regard? Please don't send us to links of other software if that software is PC only and we are running a Mac. What am I supposed to do in this situation?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:44 am

You need to find correct parameters for your RAID. Of course, it's easy said then done, but this is the only way to do that. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert in the Mac system.

hddguy

Post by hddguy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:57 am

As far as I am aware HFS has no system counters that can be used to assist in reconstructing RAID. The only way to find parameters is by analyzing the actual data in hex editor for consistency