USB 3 and Raid 0 compatibility

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
MerleOne

USB 3 and Raid 0 compatibility

Post by MerleOne » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:27 am

Hi,
I have a Dell machine with an USB 3 external drive. The internal drives are 2 arrays from a Raid 0 Strip configuration. Will the recovery media be compatible with this setup ?
Thanks.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: USB 3 and Raid 0 compatibility

Post by Alt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:54 pm

I believe, yes.
But the best way is to test that yourself. You've a 15 day test drive period with full functionality.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Then I guess I have to. Thanks.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:02 am

Hi,
I am reporting here the result of the recovery media trial :
- my USB3 HDD is perfectly recognized.

Raid0 arrays are recognized, but with a minor glitch :
Array 01, that holds the diagnotics partition, the recovery/boot partition and the OS (win 7x64) partition are well seen
Array 00, that holds 4 data partitions, is actually seen as four different arrays, but it seems they can be saved and restored, even if I didn't try this out.

There are 2 features I am still missing in R-Drive before going for it :
- the ability to exclude folders/subfolders & possibly filetypes from the image
- the ability to create a USB flashkey recovery media (I don't think it is offered now)

And a better discount for the bundle R-Drive + R-Studio would be nice too. The current 7% is really low, even if these are great quality software, AFAIK.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:49 am

MerleOne wrote:Hi,

There are 2 features I am still missing in R-Drive before going for it :
- the ability to exclude folders/subfolders & possibly filetypes from the image
- the ability to create a USB flashkey recovery media (I don't think it is offered now)
1. This is due to the way R-Drive Image copies data from disks. It doesn't copy files, it copies entire partitions / hard drives. There're other software that backup files/folders rather that disks.
2. R-Drive Image does create USB startup devices, moreover, it's possible to store recover images on them. You may read about that on R-Drive Image help. And the article Computer Recovery and System Restore gives an example on how such USB device can be used for system recovery.

MerleOne

Post by MerleOne » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:35 am

Alt wrote: 1. This is due to the way R-Drive Image copies data from disks. It doesn't copy files, it copies entire partitions / hard drives. There're other software that backup files/folders rather that disks.
2. R-Drive Image does create USB startup devices, moreover, it's possible to store recover images on them. You may read about that on R-Drive Image help. And the article Computer Recovery and System Restore gives an example on how such USB device can be used for system recovery.
Thanks. I see usb startup device creation is possible, I'll try is ASAP. Regarding point #1, I know several other imaging tools that accept files/folders exclusions, while working at sector level. I also know others that don't... Let's just say it's a feature I would definitely like to have in a future version. It's very useful when on machine with just one partition where data & os are mixed. And you may want to exclude the folders where you store mp3, videos, etc.