Possible to restore an image to the same drive it's on?

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software

Possible to restore an image to the same drive it's on?

Post by 450125 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:03 pm

I purchased Drive Image to help me replace the hard drive on a laptop, and I used an external hard drive (borrowed) for that purpose.

For whatever reason, the new hard drive is pretty hosed, and I'd like to start fresh by restoring from an image of that drive, that's stored on that drive.

Is this possible?

To clarify, this is an XP Home laptop, with a 160 gig hard drive, and an image file representing maybe 50 gigs of data, stored on that same drive. Will Drive Image allow me to restore FROM an image on that drive TO that very drive, without using an external or otherwise-separate drive?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Possible to restore an image to the same drive it's on?

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:22 am

No. Just imagine, you are copying data from a drive and saving the data to that same drive. Soon you will overwrite the image file you are copying data from.
Yes, you need to use some other hard drive.

alazanowski

Re: Possible to restore an image to the same drive it's on?

Post by alazanowski » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:08 am

Just to let you know, you should probably put preventative measures in the restore so that you can't do this. In the latest version (testing for user error possibilities like the one above) i was able to do this enough to the point that it wiped certain important parts of the drive before failure which obviously caused it to crash on any future boot. It should be pretty easy to detect if the source is the same as the target.