Can I recover data via LAN from a Raid6 NAS

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
chrisbeam

Can I recover data via LAN from a Raid6 NAS

Post by chrisbeam » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:29 am

Hi

Can I recover data via LAN from a Raid6 NAS (iomega x6 with 6 drives) using r-studio Technician?

Or will I have to take out the hard disks out of the NAS?

I am asking, because my computers can only take 3 drives at once to analyse, but this system has 6x 3TB harddrives.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Can I recover data via LAN from a Raid6 NAS

Post by Alt » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 am

FAQ 52: R-Studio may help, or may not. You cannot run R-Studio or R-Studio Agent on a NAS device directly. You need to connect disks from it to a conventional computer with R-Studio installed and try to recover data that way. Please note that most NAS devices run under some versions of Linux, FreeBSD, or other UNIX-like OS. That means that they use Unix-type file systems. Not all of them are supported by R-Studio, although you may use scan for Known File Types to recover your files. See R-Studio Help -> Data Recovery Using R-Studio -> Advanced Data Recovery -> Disk Scan -> Known File Types for more details on Known File Types.

If you have enough disk space, you may create images for 4 disks and connect 2 others.