[BUG] Target disk signature set to same as source despite of choosing 'Different signature on target'

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
LeeBinder

[BUG] Target disk signature set to same as source despite of choosing 'Different signature on target'

Post by LeeBinder » Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 pm

I am reporting an error in R-Drive Image latest version 7.2.7201, occurring in Windows 10 x64 latest edition 22H2 (if the error also occurs in Windows 11 I have not been able to test).

I cloned an entire drive (internal HDD, GPT formatted) to external SSD of the same size. In the Disk Signature Collision Panel, I chose 'Different signature on the target disk'. Nevertheless was warned after cloning to disconnect the cloned disk due to signature collision. Also I could not assign drive letters to any of the cloned NTFS volumes, labeled 'Windows' and 'Data'.

Inspection of both disks with Eassos DiskGenius disclosed the error created by R-Drive Image: the partition GUIDs of all partitions were correctly different, but the GUID of the disks (source and target) themselves were the same!

After generating a random GUID for the target, applying it then dis- and re-connecting the target drive, all was finally as supposed and I could assign drive letters to the partitions on the cloned target disk.

Can you please look into and fix this error? That would be great.
Last edited by LeeBinder on Sun May 12, 2024 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: [BUG] Target disk signature set to same as source despite of choosing 'Different signature on target'

Post by Alt » Fri May 10, 2024 5:05 pm

Thank you for reporting!

LeeBinder

Re: [BUG] Target disk signature set to same as source despite of choosing 'Different signature on target'

Post by LeeBinder » Sun May 12, 2024 3:14 pm

Sure. I had also filed the issue report via the contact form and received the following reply which I copy in here, because in retrospect/ after the fact I can't provide the data requested below as the issue occurred on someone else's computer to which I only had access that day (and neither can I run a 1:1 clone of my Laptop's SSD because I don't have a 2nd ext. SSD of that size, and also can't risk messing up my existing backup SSD). So here what others who are affected would need to supply by request:
Could you please create System Dump file (available if you click tree dots in the top right corner of R-Drive Image and select About option, there is "Write system dump..." button in the left bottom corner of the About screen) before cloning process starts, then start the cloning process, take screenshots of every step of cloning process (including disk signature collision option selected), start the cloning and create second System Dump file after the cloning process finishes.
Once we receive this information from you we would be able to open a case with our Development Team so they can take a close look at this issue.
@Alt, how about you - I take for granted you're using R-Drive Image, too, and possibly have a spare external SSD at hand which you could plug one in and hopefully perform the steps incl. test cloning?