RAID 5 Data Recovery: Rebuilding from a Double Drive Failure?

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
scytodepsic

RAID 5 Data Recovery: Rebuilding from a Double Drive Failure?

Post by scytodepsic » Sun May 12, 2024 8:58 pm

I'm facing a bit of a nightmare scenario with my RAID 5 setup and I'm hoping someone here might have some insight or advice. I've been using a RAID 5 configuration for several years now to store my important data, and it's always worked like a charm. However, recently I experienced not one, but two drive failures almost simultaneously.

The RAID controller is reporting that two of the drives have failed, and I'm unable to access my data. I've read that RAID 5 can handle one drive failure, but two at once seems to have brought everything to a standstill.

I'm not sure where to begin with the recovery process. Is there any hope of salvaging my data from this RAID 5 array with two failed drives? Are there any specialized tools or techniques I should be using? Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID 5 Data Recovery: Rebuilding from a Double Drive Failure?

Post by Alt » Mon May 13, 2024 9:43 am

The only good advice I can give you is to go to a reputable data recovery professional. Maybe they'll be able to manually rebuild your RAID5 if at least one of the failed disks is not mechanically damaged.