I accidentally shut down my computer during an R-Studio data recovery

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
blackzeal
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 02, 2022 7:27 am

I accidentally shut down my computer during an R-Studio data recovery

Post by blackzeal » Mon May 02, 2022 7:49 am

I'm trying to figure out whether all my main files have already been restored since it indicated that it was 61% through before the shutdown, but it was already working with the "extra found files" (which I think are files besides the ones that aren't hidden or deleted). I don't need those extra files. However, I'm not sure whether the remaining 39% was composed purely of those (i.e., there might be more "main" files that haven't been recovered yet). This is the reason I'm not migrating the recovered files to the drive I recovered the files from yet to avoid overwriting, and they're still in the extra drive space I have.

I didn't do anything to manually save my progress. Is there a default way to continue where I accidentally stopped the recovery in this case?

Better yet, does anyone know whether the rest of the progress is solely composed of extra files? Because I would no longer bother trying to continue the recovery if that's the case.

Also, I haven't found a way to quickly list all directories in the recovered files thus far and compare it with the list that R-studio is able to generate from scanned drives. I could definitely let it run for another 4 hours or more to get that list and compare them, but I doubt it's the best way to go about finding out if I'm done recovering my files or not. CMD doesn't allow me to use the system smoothly while it lists the files as well so I can't use it while the program is running. (Is it possible to create a file list of a specific folder of a network-attached drive in R-Studio?)

Technical information:
  • Seagate st2000vx003 - 2TB hard drive where the files are being recovered from
  • R-Studio (Recovery software)
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro (10.0.19044 Build 19044)
P.S.: I was referred to this forum from r/datarecovery on Reddit. Here are related threads on the website:

https://www.reddit.com/r/datarecovery/c ... during_an/

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/co ... during_an/

blackzeal
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 02, 2022 7:27 am

Re: I accidentally shut down my computer during an R-Studio data recovery

Post by blackzeal » Tue May 03, 2022 3:33 am

I still haven't overwritten my empty partition with the recovered files due to the prospect of losing files that might not have been recovered yet. I would greatly appreciate a simple 'yes' or 'no' from an experienced user of R-Studio. Otherwise, I'm taking the risk since most of it has been recovered already. Thank you!

Alt
Site Moderator
Posts: 3169
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: I accidentally shut down my computer during an R-Studio data recovery

Post by Alt » Tue May 03, 2022 1:06 pm

If you scan the disk and save the scan info, you may load the info and start file recovery from Extra found files. If not, you'll have to resume the process from the beginning and save recovered files from Extra found files.

Post Reply