Help needed with RAID0 on macintosh

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
chopperpl

Help needed with RAID0 on macintosh

Post by chopperpl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:42 pm

I just finished creating disk images, and I'm not really sure about my next step.
My raid0 was based on 2 iscsi virtual disks. One of them (#2) was removed from the array by accident. Basically, I removed wrong iscsi target on storage device (Thecus n5500), which is equal to physically removing disk from live array. I have recreated iscsi target without formatting allocated space, but partition map was already destroyed, and osx could no longer recognize it as valid raid slice.
Now, I've been reading all those documents, and forums on how to proceed, but they are all based on windows file systems. I have one working raid slice with partition map that I could use to retrieve raid parameters, but I'm not sure what should be my next step. Should I first attempt to recover partitions on bad disk, and then try creating virtual raid to retrieve all data, or should I just create virtual raid making image of good disk #1, drop image from the second disk to it, and then scan HFS partitions?
All pointers will be very approciated.
Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Help needed with RAID0 on macintosh

Post by Alt » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 am

If nothing has been written of the RAID0 since the disk was removed, I'd do the following:
1. Get the RAID parameters from the remaining RAID 0.
2. Create the virtual RAID 0 using the images of the disks and parameters obtained in Step 1.
3. Scan the virtual RAID 0 to search for the HFS partition.

chopperpl

Post by chopperpl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:26 am

Alt wrote:If nothing has been written of the RAID0 since the disk was removed, I'd do the following:
1. Get the RAID parameters from the remaining RAID 0.
2. Create the virtual RAID 0 using the images of the disks and parameters obtained in Step 1.
3. Scan the virtual RAID 0 to search for the HFS partition.
I think I'm on the right track. I've been doing exactly as suggested.
Thanks

chopperpl

Post by chopperpl » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:40 am

So I finished scanning virtual raid, and it came up with hundreds of small FAT12 (???) partitions. When I try to select one of them r-studio freezes for a minute, and at some point it even crashed whole app. I can't even see if any of found files are what I'm looking for...

chopperpl

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

Post by chopperpl » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 pm

My problem was solved without using R-Studio product, but hopefully the moderator will keep my solution posted, so others in need can use it.
I was able to rebuilt a partition map, and my RAID0 came back online!!!!!!!!!!! I think I was on the wrong path from the very beginning. I should not seek file recovery solution, but instead look for ways to rebuild the partition map. I'm not a recovery guru, but following logic this is safer approach, because you're not messing with areas where files are stored. You should attempt to recover your files only, if rebuilding map is no longer doable.
Here is what I did:
1. I used iPartition (Mac only) for all tasks
2. Select working disk/RAID slice, and write down values for partitions: EFI, and Apple RAID
3. Select disk/RAID slice with destroyed partition map, and create GUID partition scheme
4. On the same disk create new partition of type 'EFI System Partition' and apply exactly same values that you gathered from good disk. Pay attention to sectors. They must be identical. Make sure you have Partition Map window open, so you can tweak block sizes to match those from good disk...
5. Next, create another partition of type 'Apple RAID', and apply values from good disk... again with attention to sectors.
6. Commit changes.
You should see your array come alive...
At least that's my experience with RAID0 recovery. Your setup may be different than mine, so I can't guarantee above would work for you. But, if you have two disk raid0 built with Disk Utility, then you may get lucky just like I did...
Good Luck!!!! and remember to backup your files!!!!

dummy

Post by dummy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:45 pm

I´d like to reanimate this thread.

I accidently resolved/splitted a RAID 0 with diskutility under Mac OS X 10.6.8. The disks are untouched. iPartition and dikutil finds a RAID 0 offline. Is there a chance to put both disks togehther again???

diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_RAID_Offline 2.0 TB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OSX 134.2 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS CK 999.9 GB disk1s2
/dev/disk2
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk2
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_RAID_Offline 2.0 TB disk2s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OSX 134.2 MB disk2s3

dummy

Post by dummy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:33 pm

I tried to follw chopperpls instructions with ipartition but could not figure out which one of the disks has no partition map. In my case both disks appear to be identical.
I´m afraid of trying around and doing write operations on the disks. Any mistake and theres no chance to reanimate.

I appreciate any suggestion to help me. Thanks!!