Recover formatted EXT4 volume

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
papadage

Recover formatted EXT4 volume

Post by papadage » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:57 pm

I have a QNAP NAS running an 8-drive RAID 6 that had 10TB of data on it until earlier this week. I had gone to visit friends for a few days, and while I was gone, my younger brother, while playing with the front panel, re-initialized the array, and then it formatted itself.

I went into the NAS web interface, saw that the old shares and data were gone and promptly shut it down. I pulled the drives and put them into an 8-bay enclosure, and connected it to my Windows 7 x64 PC. I can see all eight drives in Storage Management in Windows. Running another file recovery software package, I can assemble a virtual RAID, and a quick scan shows some files that should be recoverable. The issue is, that this software will not be able to recover file names and the folder structure, which is very important.

Given this issue, can any R-Tools software recover not only the files, but also the folder structure and file names in an EXT 4 volume that had been formatted, but no data written yet?

Please let me know.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recover formatted EXT4 volume

Post by Alt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:34 am

It's hard to say anything without seeing the actual data. But no worry, just try R-Studio for free. See this topic for more details:What to do if I don't know if R-Studio can recover my files?.