Does R-Studio Scan NTFS Metadata and MFT Zone?

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Data-Medics

Does R-Studio Scan NTFS Metadata and MFT Zone?

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:30 am

I'm just curious if R-Studio actually scans this area that's in the middle of a NTFS partition or even uses the info when you scan the full volume.

Reason I ask is that I've got a drive which is imaging on DDI painfully slow literally around 50kb/s. The first 10% contains data, but the MFT is pretty much gone due to bad sectors. I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra 2 days it'll take to scan that area in the middle of the partition, or will it not make any difference.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Does R-Studio Scan NTFS Metadata and MFT Zone?

Post by Alt » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:08 am

Yes, R-Studio uses any data that helps for data recovery. Moreover, if you have some clues where the MFT Zone sits, you may scan only that disk area. Click the Advanced button on the Scan dialog box, and enter the required offset and size. Moreover, you may make several scans of different areas, R-Studio will combine them into one, even if those scans overlap.
Well,if you image the drive, you have to image the entire from the beginning to the end.

Data-Medics

Re: Does R-Studio Scan NTFS Metadata and MFT Zone?

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:28 pm

Just to clarify, I'm not referring to imaging using R-Studio. I've had it connected to a hardware imaging tool (PC-3000) and the task is mounted to the system so I can scan it using R-Studio which I find better in cases where the MFT is badly damaged. Anyway, case is now completed and data all recovered. Was just a slow one.