Known File Type(s) for Apple Mail message files

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Known File Type(s) for Apple Mail message files

Post by Alt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:45 pm

Well, we are working on it.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:57 pm

We do not forget about you. We have found a problem in our program and are planning to have a workable version by this Tuesday.
There are some errors in your code making the file type invisible, but don't bother with it, we will give you the right code with the version.

nigelh

Post by nigelh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks for the heads-up - I appreciate it, and the work you're doing! :D

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm sorry, you'll have to wait one day more.

nigelh

Post by nigelh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:21 pm

Hey, no problem! :-)

But thanks for letting me know.....

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:56 pm

Well, finally we have a solution for you.
Download the new R-Studio for Mac (build 362).
Use the following xml file for the Known File Types:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<FileTypeList>
<!-- Search for Apple Mail message files .emlx -->
<FileType id="9193" group="Internet related files" description="Apple Mail Messages 1" features="TXT_ANSI TXT_UNICODE" extension="emlx">
<Signature offset="4" from="begin">Return-path</Signature>
<Signature offset="7" from="end">plist</Signature>
</FileType>
<FileType id="9194" group="Internet related files" description="Apple Mail Messages 2" features="TXT_ANSI TXT_UNICODE" extension="emlx">
<Signature offset="5" from="begin">Return-path</Signature>
</FileType>
<FileType id="9195" group="Internet related files" description="Apple Mail Messages 3" features="TXT_ANSI TXT_UNICODE" extension="emlx">
<Signature offset="6" from="begin">Return-path</Signature>
</FileType>
<FileType id="9196" group="Internet related files" description="Apple Mail Messages 4" features="TXT_ANSI TXT_UNICODE" extension="emlx">
<Signature offset="7" from="begin">Return-path</Signature>
</FileType>
</FileTypeList>

Due to features of the Apple Mail Message format, we have to dived the files into 4 file types Apple Mail Messages 4 - 1.

nigelh

Post by nigelh » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the notification.

So, I've downloaded and installed the new build, and I've cut-and-pasted the xml code from your message into the Known File Types file. However, when I run a scan, the Known File Types are still not showing the entries for Apple Mail, neither in plain text nor in italics. I've tried quitting the app and restarting it after changing the Known File Types xml file. I've also tried using the browse option from Settings:Main to re-select the file, to be sure the location is properly defined.

Do I need to delete any old preference files, created by the previous build, or anything like that? Sorry, but I really can't think of anything else to check myself!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:20 am

I see. The lines like
<FileType id="9193" group="Internet related files" description="Apple Mail Messages 1" features="TXT_ANSI TXT_UNICODE" extension="emlx">
should be one line with no line breaks inside.
I personally tested this file and it works fine.

nigelh

Post by nigelh » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi,

Indeed, no line breaks anywhere within the < and > of each line (I just double checked). The file is saved, in the default location, with extension .xml - I made it by cut-and pasting the script from your message here into TextEdit.

Also, I'm quite sure the script is correct - and as you say, you tested it yourself, so there's no reason to think the fault lies in the script per se. It seems then like something else that's preventing the app from finding or seeing the file. You said to me before that if the script contained any errors, then it should still show up in the Known File Types list, but in italics.* However, these Apple Mail definitions are not showing up in the list at all. Is that not a clue to the problem lying elsewhere, other than in the script itself. Particularly, as you say, you tested the script yourself and it works fine. So, what could be the reason(s) for the app not even finding the file? I've triple-checked the name of the file and it's location and I'm sure it's properly defined in the Settings. Is there anything else that has to be set on the file, other than its extension, perhaps?

* BTW, when I look through the Known File Types list, there re a number of the standard entries that show up in italics and which, apparently, cannot be de-selected. Is that how they should be? Most, but not all, are for Microsoft file types, for Word, Excel and so on - there are one or two other generic types (MPEG and JPEG, IIRC) that also cannot be de-selected. Just thought I'd mention this, as it always seemed a little odd to me that one shouldn't be able to de-select any particular file type from a scan.

Cheers

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:25 am

1. Well, those file types in italics look like a bug affecting only the Mac version.
2. I recommend placing the xml file to the following location /Users/user name/R-Studio/FileTypes.xml
The file types should appear in the "Internet related files" group.
Otherwise, I can't imagine what also may prevent them from appearing.