Readynas X-raid2 data recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
xtrips
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 am

Readynas X-raid2 data recovery

Post by xtrips » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:14 am

Hello,

I will spare you the story that brings me here.
I am about to move 6 X 3TB HDDs that carry at least 7 TB worth of data from my ReadyNas Pro to an empty PC with 6 SATA ports.
I prepared a USB stick with R-Studio demo in order to check if the recovery is feasible before purchasing the license.
I am also waiting from Netgear to get the "parameters" needed to rebuild a virtual raid based on X-raid2, so you are welcome to help here if somebody knows the parameters or where to get them.
And one last thing, I am told that i will have to respect the order in which the original 6 HDDss were connected in the Readynas. But how do I connect them on my motherboard now.
Logically that would be Disk 1 > SATA port 1 (or 0 actually), right? Please confirm.

Thank you

Alt
Site Moderator
Posts: 2271
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Readynas X-raid2 data recovery

Post by Alt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:32 am

xtrips wrote: And one last thing, I am told that i will have to respect the order in which the original 6 HDDss were connected in the Readynas. But how do I connect them on my motherboard now.
Logically that would be Disk 1 > SATA port 1 (or 0 actually), right? Please confirm.
Yes, that should work.
But the main question is the file system NetGear uses in their products.

xtrips
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Readynas X-raid2 data recovery

Post by xtrips » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:14 pm

Alt wrote:
xtrips wrote: And one last thing, I am told that i will have to respect the order in which the original 6 HDDss were connected in the Readynas. But how do I connect them on my motherboard now.
Logically that would be Disk 1 > SATA port 1 (or 0 actually), right? Please confirm.
Yes, that should work.
But the main question is the file system NetGear uses in their products.
Right now i have the R-Studio Emergency GUI open and all my 6 HDDs connected to a machine in the right order.
Apart from that I am clueless.
There are so many options in the software that I don't understand that i am scared as hell to try anything.
I need the R-Studio for dummies step by step recovery method :/
And of course Netgear does not answer and I still didn't get those parameters for X-Raid2. Not that I know what to do with them....

Alt
Site Moderator
Posts: 2271
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Readynas X-raid2 data recovery

Post by Alt » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:36 am

You need to create a virtual RAID out of the disks. The R-Studio's on-line help and our article RAID Recovery Presentation explain how.
But the main question is actual parameters of the RAID, including its type. We simply cannot look through space and time to enter your computer and guess them.

xtrips
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Readynas X-raid2 data recovery

Post by xtrips » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:41 am

It's been almost 4 days now that I am looking for those parameters necessary for R-Studio to reconstruct a Virtual RAID out of Xraid2.
I am still waiting for Netgear.
I can't believe there is not one person in this forum that ever dealt with R-Studio and Xraid2.
Xraid2/Readynas is not some junk raid, it is a professional raid. So there must be some knowledge about it somewhere.
The waiting is killing me.

Alt
Site Moderator
Posts: 2271
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Readynas X-raid2 data recovery

Post by Alt » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:28 am

I've never worked with Xraid2/Readynas, that's why I can't help you.

hddguy
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 am

Re: Readynas X-raid2 data recovery

Post by hddguy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:56 am

Alt wrote:I've never worked with Xraid2/Readynas, that's why I can't help you.
X-Raid is a nightmare, it works like JBOD with redundancy. In some cases can be built as JBOD.

Nic

Re: Readynas X-raid2 data recovery

Post by Nic » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:15 am

The data is the one with most MB You should see it or might have to right click- recover and then save that info on other disc just in case and so not have to do again...

Post Reply