Problems with recovered files

A forum on data recovery using the professional data recovery software R-STUDIO.
hapzfl

Problems with recovered files

Post by hapzfl » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:01 am

I just did my first file recovery of a HD formatted by Synology Linux OS but NOT as a Raid volume. Recovery was necessary because I deleted a volume believing that I had a backup. I was proven wrong...
Luckily the only operation that 4TB HD was exposed to was moving it from an older NAS to a new NAS. Of course everything on that disk got wiped out at that point.

Using R-Studio on a Win 10 PC took days to scan the 4TB and came up with a recovered file volume that was several times larger than the disk. That was a major surprise as I had to scramble to find space for all these recovered files.

That disk never stored anything but video files created by a number of different cameras some of which were edited my Vegas Studio Pro.

To my surprise, and that's where my real problem is right now, there were file formats recovered I have no idea how to deal with. Aside from the known formats mpg, mp4, mts, mov, and swf there is a vp6 format that I have not been able to open with anything yet although I supposedly have all the current codecs on my PC.

These vp6 files are huge, there are a ton of them, and I have no idea what they are, where they are coming from, and what to do with them.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Problems with recovered files

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Sorry for the long delay with an answer.
What was the file system of the disk? ext4fs or Btrfs? If the first, this article will help: Data Recovery from a Reformatted Ext2/3/4FS Disk. If the second, the only way is to use raw file search.

hapzfl

Post by hapzfl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:33 pm

My file system on that disk is still the old ext4fs but I did a raw fil search just in case.
As the mentioned article outlines, the recovery loses folders, file names, and attributes.
That's exactly what happened with my recovery.

But now I have files I don't know how to handle...

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am

One way out is to manually search for good files in the recovered files. I understand that may be a titanic work, but it is what it is.

Another way is to re-scan the drive specifying only video files in the settings. You may find more information here: Disk Scan.